Hospital Cancer Registry Management System
The Cancer Patient Data Management System (CPDMS) was developed by the Kentucky Cancer Registry (KCR) at the University of Kentucky in 1990 to collect and maintain high quality cancer registry data for hospital cancer registries. CPDMS was originally developed as a DOS based system and has been supported by KCR for all hospitals in Kentucky. CPDMS has also been adopted by hospitals in Arkansas, Michigan and Tennessee. CPDMS must be installed and maintained on computers at each individual hospital.
CPDMS for the Web
CPDMS.net is a modern Web based application that will eventually replace all hospital installations of CPDMS. As a Web based application hosted at KCR, CPDMS.net will be much easier to maintain and support. CPDMS.net eliminates the difficulties of maintaining a DOS based network application on computing facilities at individual hospitals.
CPDMS.net has been developed with patient confidentiality and data security as a top priority. The system is accessed using the secure HTTP protocol. This requires 128-bit data encryption between hospital clients and the CPDMS.net Web server at the Kentucky Cancer Registry. Additionally, CPDMS.net requires the installation of a unique client certificate at each workstation designated for use with CPDMS.net.
Data for each hospital utilizing CPDMS.net is stored in an independent database. Access to the hospital database is controlled by each hospital and requires user authentication with the use of strong passwords. Sessions are maintained by each hospital user in CPDMS.net. Sessions timeout after 40 minutes of inactivity and require re-authentication to resume work.
Databases for CPDMS.net reside behind a secure firewall at the Kentucky Cancer Registry. The CPDMS.net Web application resides in a Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) controlled by the KCR firewall. Access to CPDMS.net databases is strictly controlled and monitored by KCR technical staff.
Access to any confidential data by KCR technical staff is limited to that required for system support and troubleshooting. No other staff or personnel are allowed access to any hospital databases. KCR strictly adheres to the rules and regulations specified by HIPAA. For hospital clients outside of Kentucky, KCR will sign and agree to the terms of appropriate Business Associate Agreements.
CPDMS.net includes all of the capabilities of the CPDMS system, including:
- An interactive, full featured and user friendly data entry system
- Extensive single field, inter-field and inter-record validations and edit checks during data entry
- The ability to save incomplete abstracts for later completion
- A comprehensive set of pre-defined and ad-hoc reporting capabilities
- A fully integrated data analysis system that supports ad-hoc queries and built-in analytic functions such as descriptive statistics, data lists, survival analysis, comparative analysis and disease free interval analysis
- A data exchange system supporting pre-defined and ad-hoc export capabilities in multiple ASCII and NAACCR standard formats
The new Web based interface supports printing of reports and data analysis through Microsoft Windows. Output from CPDMS.net can easily be incorporated into Microsoft Office documents.
CPDMS.net Data Standards
CPDMS.net supports a rich set of cancer registry data variables and fully supports the following data standards:
- American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer (CoC): FORDS and ROADS (for historical data)
- The Collaborative Staging System
- The North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR) Data Standards for Cancer Registries
- Reporting requirements of the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Reporting requirements of the Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Program at the National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- Reporting requirements of the central cancer registries in Arkansas, Kentucky, Michigan and Tennessee
In addition to the standard dataset, CPDMS.net also provides support for additional User Defined Data Elements. Space is currently allocated for up to 10 15-character patient level variables and 20 15-character case level variables. Site specific labels are supported for case level variables.
- CPDMS.net Hardware and Software Requirements
- CPDMS.net Data Elements (Online)
- CPDMS.net Data Elements
- CPDMS.net Operator's Manual
Plans for Electronic Pathology Reporting and Electronic Health Records with CPDMS.net
KCR has plans to integrate CPDMS.net with electronic health record (EHR) systems as they become established in Kentucky hospitals. KCR is already implementing electronic pathology reporting for several hospitals in Kentucky. KCR is developing a plan to allow the electronic pathology reports to be accessible directly from the patient abstracting system. Eventually, automatic population of the cancer abstract with appropriate path based variables may be feasible.
Converting from CPDMS to CPDMS.net
KCR staff provide technical support to conduct seamless migrations from CPDMS to CPDMS.net. The process involves the following steps:
- Documentation and client certificate(s) provided to hospital by KCR
- Test connectivity between hospital and CPDMS.net Web servers
- Run the GlobalEditCheck report in CPDMS and correct any critical data errors
- Check integrity of hospital CPDMS database (i.e. run dbcheck, integrty)
- Zipped copy of hospital CPDMS database (\KCR\DATA) uploaded to KCR via the Secure File Exchange Web site
- New hospital database configured for CPDMS.net
- CPDMS hospital data converted into CPDMS.net
- Run GlobalEditCheck report in CPDMS.net. Any new critical errors reported back hospital (requiring resubmission of zipped database)
- KCR sets up user accounts with security information provided by hospital
- CPDMS.net tested by hospital
Please Note: Because very few clients expressed an interest in continuing the "Extended Dataset", KCR now supports one single dataset in CPDMS.net. Some Extended variables have been removed for the CPDMS.net dataset. Any Extended variables maintained in CPDMS can be converted into user defined data fields for continued use in CPDMS.net.
Deleted variables include:
|Patient Data||Maiden Name/Alias|
|Case Data||Tumor Size (Next Largest)|
|Follow Up||Performance Status|
|Therapy||Date Therapy Completed|
|Therapy||Intent of Therapy|
|Therapy||Radiation to CNS|
|Therapy||Radiation Surgery Sequence|
|Protocol Data||All variables|
|Resource Utilization||All variables|
A History of Excellence
Since 1990, the Kentucky Cancer Registry has provided high quality cancer registry software and support to numerous hospitals in and outside of Kentucky. The KCR information technology group has established an international reputation for developing innovative software products. The CPDMS software system has allowed KCR to meet the certification requirements for the NAACCR Gold Standard for Quality, Completeness, and Timeliness for each year since 1995. In 2002 the KCR became one of fifteen NCI/SEER cancer registries, widely regarded as the highest quality cancer registries in the United States. KCR is proud to leverage this experience with first rate technical support to offer superior software products for hospital based cancer registries.